About Alkan Shenyuz
Year of Call 1997
Alkan acts in a broad range of commercial litigation, arbitration and transaction matters. His focus includes high value commercial disputes, cross-border banking and finance, banking regulation, commodities trade disputes, art and antiquity law.
Prior to the Bar, Alkan worked for Clifford Chance and has developed hands-on experience in financial services regulation and banking and finance products such as derivatives and offshore investment funds. At Clifford Chance, he advised a number of pension funds, hedge funds, private equity funds, insurance companies and institutional investors.
Alkan has also advised major banks including The Royal Bank of Scotland, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Bank of America Merrill Lynch on a range of complex disputes involving both institutional and private investors.
At the height of the banking crisis in 2009, Alkan counseled banks on disputes relating to International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) contracts, structured investment transactions, off-shore investment trusts, bank insolvency, FSA/FCA regulatory breaches and anti-money laundering.
Alkan’s expertise also includes proceedings before international courts, tribunals, offshore jurisdictions and enforcement of foreign judgments in England.
Alkan is also a regular commentator on a range of international legal issues and geo-political risks in emerging markets having provided commentary for publications such as Africa Asset Management and MENA Insurance Review.
More recently, Alkan has also advised on legal issues affecting fine arts and antiquities. He has also written extensively on the Elgin Marbles, the Hague Convention and the looting of antiquities in Iraq and Syria.
Alkan’s recent work includes:
- Acting for a major US bank in a dispute with a Luxembourg hedge fund
- Defending a UK bank in a claim by a private high net worth client involving financial promotions rules
- Mediating a dispute between East European high net worth clients involving the sale/purchase of oil
- Acting for a Middle East sovereign fund investor in a claim against US and Swiss banks
- Advising a private client in respect of financial mis-selling by a UK bank
- Advising on cross-border civil fraud/breach of trust proceedings in the Caribbean
- Advising shareholders on breach of director’s duties and asset tracing
Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
International Law Association (ILA)
Cypriots Lawyers Society (CLS)
Called to the Bar, Lincoln’s Inn 1997
University College, London, LL.M. (International Business Law) 1996